About Us

The Club was established in October, 1914 by Montgomery women who were journalists, creative writers and diligent researchers. Early members included Marie Bankhead Owen and Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald. Later well-known members were Helen Blackshear and Helen Norris, both state poet laureates. The membership has always been limited to no more than 20 writers who meet regularly to share their work, and support each other with information helpful for research and publication. The small group continues to maintain the legacy of the organization—over a century of women writing together.